Saturday, January 28, 2006

 

Photo Sunday a few hours early....January 29. 2001

On this date my life changed forever......

Let me begin on November 19, 2000, in Minneapolis, MN. I was in the middle of getting my Master's from the St. Mary's University. Our classes met one weekend a month for two years. My class was preparing for our final project in March. It was a balmy Sunday afternoon, by MN standards, when I started gasping for breath, felt like I was going to throw up, and was pulling at the neck of my shirt. I was having my first panic attack. No idea why, but it happened. When I got home, I dialed my SIL, Denise, immediately. I told her that I thought my baby was born today. She asked why and I told her about the attack. Her reply, "Mark the day on the calendar and when your referral comes through, if her birthday is on this date, why bother having her photos checked out by the U of MN, we will know she is ours."

My reply, "We need to remember that Calcutta is 12 1/2 hours ahead of us so if the date comes through as November 20, it means the same thing." End of conversation.

Just a little 2 1/2 months later, I had just walked in from dismissing my students to their buses. It was raining cats and dogs with the forcast for the temps to go way below freezing..... There is a phone call for me in the office. It is my agency telling me that they have a referral for me. I told them the fax number and started waiting by the fax machine. It didn't long for the machine to start buzzing.... The first two lines, Name: Kiran Age: 20-11-2000. I started shaking, my body went numb, tears streaming down my face and I almost passed out. I knew she was mine before I even saw the 1X1 picture at the bottom of the page. I rushed to the phone, called Tammy from my agency back and told her that she was mine. Send me the official papers...... Back to my classroom to call my SIL and cousin, who is like my sister. My cousin, Kim, was so excited for me. My SIL was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!! I left work with a permanent smile on my face. I decide to stop at Target and celebrate by buying perfect little child her first present from her MOMMY!!! (By the time she came home, the outfit was way to small. I still have it saved in her first year box, maybe her little girl will wear it someday.)

My SIL finally calls back, the roads are getting slippery, but I decide that I need to show her the information on her new niece. I drive the 8 miles, it takes more then 30 minutes, twice as long as usual. I walk in their house, show them the info. This is Lilianna Marlene... my brother stops me and says you cannot change this child's name. She deserves her given name. It makes sense, I like the name but don't change my mind at that time.

I drive home, 45 minutes this round, get to my driveway, cannot get up the little slope. Get some ice melt, put it on the driveway, go and get my car. On the way down the driveway, I slip and fall and slide right across the street on my bottom. Finally get in the house, look up the meaning of Kiran, in Hindi it means ray of light or sunlight. Cannot change, she becomes Kiran Marlene.

This was just the beginning of a life long love story, the child is mine and I am so at peace. It takes other 8 1/2 months before my little angel comes home, but this day started it all.......

Happy photo Sunday all........

Love,

Mary and Kiran
Comments:
What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing that story.
I'm loving having my Minnesotan visitor so much. I hope your new friend is still bringing a smile to your face!
 
Ahhhh. I remember it all--and still have that little photo in my file. Next time tell them about the arrival gate...

xoxo Inger
 
Tears streaming down my cheeks...things that are meant to be there is no stopping!

Thank you for brightening my morning!

alan
 
WOW!

BEAUTIFUL!

THANK YOU!

rQm
 
Ohhhh Mary...

Your story gave me goosebumps reading it...I had never heard the whole story..

A nice way to start Sunday morning.....(on a very gloomy morning)

Thinking of your ray of sunshine today!!! take care, Kathy
 
Mary..

You know how to warm up an old guys heart on this particular photo Sunday!

Thank you so so so much!

STB
 
OMG, that gives me chills to read!
 
Wow! A beautiful story! I never even saw a picture of either one of my girls before our first visit in foster care! I knew too when the right child was there. It's wierd to know - and it could have been attributed to arrogance when there were 8 perfectly amazing families being considered for her placement, but I knew she was mine!
 
You have just made my day!

What a wonderful post... thanks so much for sharing this.

You are very lucky, but more importantly, Kiran has been blessed with you as her mother!

A lifetime of blog entries are ahead of you, my dear!

DON~
 
I will post the airport experience next week, don't miss out, it was HELL!!!

Thanks so much for all your kind comments. She is a terrific kid and I am so blessed to have found such terrific friends.....

Love you guys,,,,,
 
Goosebumps deluxe here. What a beautiful story to match a beautiful Mommy and daughter!
 
wonderful story!
Take Care,
Cathy
 
Oh, I love this cute pciture!
 
How wonderful for you and little Kiran! *hug*
 
Beautiful..Thank u for sharing :)
 
Just wonderful!

I've always heard that we choose our parents before birth.

Kiran chose you that day.

x0x0x
 
hey mary thanks for the nice comment you left me. i'm glad you are happily rising in love! (vs. "falling" in love--why go down when up is so much more fun?)

my thoughts on the pic of the 2 of you on your 1st date--you looked Connected even then!

:D
 
I am new visitor. Thank you for such a great post. I am going to be a single mom too. I'm nearing the end of adopting a baby girl from Guatemala. It's nice to know other single moms are out there!
 
awwwwww omg I'm in tears..
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?