Thursday, November 09, 2006

 

The Election and Congressman Oberstar

It has been over 48 hours since the polls have closed and the Democrats have done one hell of a job.

I heard yesterday, that over 1/3 of the christian right vote, went to Democrats. Are they getting smarter or what???

On Monday night I had a great conversation with my dad. My dad is old school, still votes Democratic, but is pro-life, as was my mother. When we were talking I asked how can anyone be pro-life and be for the war???? Aren't both of them killing....(BTW- My dad is against both.)

His response was that 2 wrongs don't make a right. The 8th district Congressman from MN is is James Oberstar (the region I grew up in and my dad still lives in.) He might be the third most senior Congressman in the House. He will be the chair of the transportation committee. Go Jim!! When we were talking he did remind me that Jim was pro-life and has never waivered. I cannot agree with the pro-life people but I don't think I could have an abortion either. Then I told my dad that if Kiran comes home at 15 and I cannot tell you that I wouldn't suggest it.

The thing about Jim is, I believe his stance on that one issue, made him a regional candidate and not senate material for MN. He would have made one hell of a senator. I have to add that I love that man. The last time I saw him was in Washington DC several years ago. The state teacher's union was giving him an award for voting 100% with education and labor and we were to give him his award and thank him. I told the two people I was with that Jim was an old family friend and how excited I was to see him again. They had attitude whatever....

By the time we walked out of his office we were all in tears. During the entire meeting which was 30 minutes, he talked about how I looked like my mother, what a great family I had, was my grandma still making the best potica in the world, and back to your mom she was a terrific and very special woman who was taken away from us much to early. Two weeks after that, my dad received a letter from Jim, telling him how much he enjoyed seeing me, how proud my dad must be to have raised a beuatiful woman, and how lucky he was that everytime he could look at me and he could see my mom. When we were getting in the elevator, one of my friends looked at and me and said, "WOW, I have never had such an emotional meeting with an elected official before. Your family really does know him."

Talk about a wonderful person and congressman. I thank God that he was re-elected and will see some happier days in the next session....
Comments:
um....wow.
 
by any chance were you at lee ann chin in st. louis park with kiran today?

corner of my eye stuff, but i thought just maybe...
 
The Democrats have made us proud, but remember that the fight is just beginning......

We have two more years to show the country that we are a strong party, working together in keeping the campaign promises we made.

Hopefully we will nominate a strong candidate for the presidency. At present, I'm not liking any of the potential candidates with the exception of Barack Obama. Time will tell.....

Hope all is well,

DON~
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?