Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 

To Close for Comfort

Today, I was walking outside to pick up my wonderful second graders, when we all heard a pop (sounded like a gunshot) followed by some smoke and a scream. The first thing we did was get everyone inside and safe. The noise came from a home across the street from the school. It all turned out alright and with the police investigation it turned out to be some knuckle head letting off fireworks.


Who on this earth, with what has happened in schools the last few weeks, be so stupid???? During conferences this week, I had a parent ask me how safe their children were. I didn't know how to reply because in reality we are sitting ducks. We have no security in the elementary buildings, maybe a camera or two but not much. Our doors stay open during the day in case someone needs to deliver something, pick up a child and so on. We have started locking all but two doors but hey that doesn't make me feel better.

Today I was close to my first school lockdown. Reality has sunk in. Lord help us all and the children we serve.......
Comments:
How scary for you! How did the kids react? My students always talk about what they would have done if it were them, the whole middle school bravado thing. I tell them they're best bet is to keep their mouths shut and try to hide or get away. But keep their mouths shut! Very scary stuff, what's been happening in our schools. These last few instances are even scarier, though, because they are strangers getting in and terrorizing our children. Lock the doors, that's what we need more of.
 
What a fright! (And what an idiot, letting off fireworks near a school in this day and age...) Glad it was nothing, but sorry for the not misplaced anxiety.

xo Inger
 
So sorry for the scare...

The world isn't supposed to be this way!

alan
 
And TinyE comes home talking about their "stranger danger" classes. It is an interesting (and sad) time.
 
What a scary situation. I've always thought the locked doors in my new school were a pain, now I'm grateful for them.
 
yep, things are very scary, i'm glad i don't have a small child in school, yet i often worry endlessly about my 23 yr. old. Life used to be considerably more peaceful for some of us....now....it's a very dangerous world...for all of us....

take care and keep sending positive vibes to all around you,
love and light,
pj
 
How very sad that even the most innocent among us are no longer safe!

It's a sad world we're living in.

I'm glad all is well.....

DON~
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?