Thursday, June 22, 2006

 

Minneapolis Public Schools

Ok, time to yell and scream about the school district I work for......

In January, the district switched over to an automated payroll system. It is all electronic, you don't get a pay stub unless you can get online and copy it. Well, people have had issues with it since the beginning. I didn't have any until the last pay period. I get paid every other Friday. I thought my check was smaller then it should have been, but I have been doing extra work, and wasn't so sure. On Saturday, I had a check from the district in my mail box. It seems they forgot to pay me for a sick day. Today, I checked on tomorrows check.... It seems, due to a program problem, I am only getting paid half my salary. That is so nice. I have bills to pay and checks that will be bouncing. How long do you think it should take to get the bugs out of the system?

Today was my first day of summer school. I have been at these useless meetings, NCLB related for three days. I walked into a classroom with 32, yes I said 32, first graders. This program is suppose to be for those children who need extra help catching up to their peers. Ok, I cannot help anyone catch up with 32 kids. It is amazing, I feel like I am babysitting at less then a dollar an hour per kid. I would make out better financially providing daycare in my home for the summer.

This district doesn't have a leader at the moment. It is so mixed up, I just wished, financially, I could just leave. Maybe someday when Mr. Right asks me to marry him.

Have a great weekend all. My started at 1 this afternoon.....

Mary
Comments:
NCLB, that's a good one. So when the district (or government) makes a mistake, OK we'll just fix it when we can. But if a teacher tries to help a student, given limited resources and limited time, regardless of other things that the child might be dealing with, then the government can publicly flog the district and the district can humiliate the teacher. That's what NCLB is for, right?
If they really want to fix education, get rid of all those administrators. For the price of two administrator, you can get three more teachers. That means instead of two classrooms of 30 students each, you'll have five classrooms of 12 students each. THAT would really help things out!
Yes, I do have a lot of ideas on education, ways to get money into the classroom to help the students. Take away some of the secretaries, that helps also. Especially in big cities like Minneapolis. We're in an information age, let the computers do some of the work. (No, I'm not suggesting people lose their jobs. Attrition would provide the gradual reduction in positions while the technology catches up.)

Enjoy the summer!!!
 
I can't imagine how overwhelming walking into that classroom must have felt!

GM is kind of that way about money; if you owe them it comes out right then. If they owe you but it's less than a day's pay, then it takes a few weeks (while they draw interest on it, I'm sure).

alan
 
I can understand your frustration ..I was all worked up reading this..ugh..

{{{{{{{{mary}}}}} hugs!
 
32???? Holy freakin' shit! That's beyond BS, you don't put that many low kids together and expect them to catch up? Who's brain-child was this? OMG, I just can't even begin to comprehend how that happened.

NCLB drives me batty. Stupid people who know zip about kids making arbitrary judgements on what will and won't be, not looking at what's realistic, or even appropriate, or even following sped. laws! Okay, climbing off my soap box.

As for the check, that's really crazy, how long before they fix it and pay you what they're supposed to?
 
Ohh Mary..that sounds like a hell of a time!!

32 kids...that is ridiculous/ I am thinking this as Adrita starts summer school with two kids to each teacher...etc.

I agree with the too many administrators !! happens at our school too...and they do what exactly???!!! I hope you find some sane ear to talk to!!

I am sorry about the pay mix up/ what a royal pain in the butt!!!

hang in there...hope the weekend lightens your load, take care, Kathy
 
let's see--they're stiffing you for half your pay, and then giving you impossible tasks to boot?
i'd say, check out another school district!
(easy to say from here....)

i'm planning my trip to st paul the first week of august. let's set something up!
 
How very disappointing that those who need the help the most will be limited to the amount of help you can provide because of the numbers game. I understand your frustration! Imagine how much more they could learn in a classroom half the size! Shame on the administration. They just dont seem to "get it"!

I wish you a summer full of luck... and hopefully a lifetime full of love.

Mr. Right is right around the corner!
 
How about moving to CA? Bring Mr. Right with you and Kiran! We'll have a good time! :)

Sorry the school system is so messed up. Such an importatnt but underrated job. I think you should be making six figures, at least!
 
It sounds so very frustrating, Mary. My sister is a grade 5 teacher and she faces crowded classes and insufficient resources for those with the greatest needs; why do we allow these things to happen to our children!?...I hope you got your pay sorted out and that things are getting better with the class.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?