Sunday, April 09, 2006

 

Cross cultures



This photo was taken at our first India Culture Camp in June of 2002. All of the girls are from the same orphanage in Kolkata. The last three in the photo are Adrita, Kiran and Emma. Kiran and Emma have been best buddies since Kiran set foot in the US. Emma is a year older but they act like teenager when together. Adrita is the same age as Emma and we are very fortunate to get to see her once a year.




This is Kiran and Emma. At the same culture camp.

My point to all of this is that I try to incorporate India culture into our lives when ever possible. We have many children books, picture books and so on. Also, I love getting our play group together where many of the children are from India. Kiran loves to play with them and loves playing with other "brown" children. This week, Kiran and I went to see the movie Mystic India at the local science museum. She told me on the way out that she didn't like the movie one bit. I, on the other hand, loved it. Last night we had a conversation about India and she told me she didn't want me talking about it any more, India that is. She doesn't want to learn about it because she doesn't remember anything about it and when people ask her where she is from she is telling them Apple Valley. I abide by her requests and my guess is that it is a stage and I need to back off but it made me a little sad for her.

So for know India is a subject that is taboo up and will have to wait for her lead as to when we discuss it again.

Mary
Comments:
Several years ago, I had a little boy in my class who was adopted from India. What a fantastic child! He readily offered information about being born in India (the question in Spanish class is What is your nationality, many students just respond American), and then would tell me that his heritage is Jewish because that's how his parents are raising him. He even told me all about his Bar Mitzvah. That family is just amazing in my book. They have three sons, all adopted in different circumstances. The oldest was from India, the second two were both domestic adoptions (African American). All three are being raised as "nice Jewish boys." The oldest is the only one I taught, and he went on to be an outstanding student in high school and is now in college but I forget where. The younger two children both have special needs, one I believe is autistic and the other has emotional difficulties. But the family is so inspirational and supportive, looking out for their sons equally but recognizing and nurturing their individuality.
Maybe as Kiran growns up, she'll come to appreciate her birth country more. Right now, it must be very hard being different. Enjoy her birth culture for yourself, it's a beautiful culture with such interesting traditions.
 
Some parents would never have bothered to try; not only did you, but now you've listened when she said don't.

I seem to remember a line in an old Armstrong recording, his last one with "What a Wonderful World" on it...it was about

"Fantastic, fantastic, that's you!"

alan
 
Mary, you are the BEST mom. I am truly inspired by your desire to learn and incorporate Indian culture, knowledge into your home. I plan to do this with Savanna too. I hope you will continue to learn and incorporate whatever you can into your lives (don't have to overtly discuss "India" if it will upset Kiran) because when Kiran is an adolescent she will most likely want some connection to her roots. You will have opened the door for many open discussions if you have already embraced her birth culture.

I LOVE that Kiran has some buddies from India. How cool are you to keep that bond flourishing!
 
Hi Mary.. I just somehow stumbled across your blog and wanted to say that Kiran is so beautiful! We are adopting through India - currently waiting on legals for our daughter. She is also in Kolkata. Wondering if you went through the same agency that we did...
I can't wait until I am dealing with parenting issues myself!! :) Sounds like you are doing a great job!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?