Monday, February 06, 2006

 

Outrage and life

I was looking at the pictures on this link and am soooo angry.

http://djlphoto.com/lower9/l927.htm

These photos were taken of the lower 9th ward in New Orleans just a few weeks ago. At one time, my mom's sister and family lived in Chalmette. One would have to drive through the 9th ward to get to the French Quarter. It was a scary drive the first time but then I always found it such an interesting place. It is also the area that Fats Domino lived until the Katrina. BTW-My aunt passed away over 15 years ago and my uncle around 4. From what my cousins have learned is that the house they lived in was under 20 feet of water. Why the hell is the government sitting back at not cleaning this area up?????? Oh, could it be because the people who lived there were POOR!! In this country,k only money really speaks and that is so so so sad....

On a different note Kiran decided to change her name yesterday. She wants to be called Kiran Marlene BIBI .... and then our last name. Bibi is her birthmother's last name. I had a friend ask how I felt about that. I told her wonderful. Kiran understands the fact she has two moms and wants both of us to be a part of her. I only wish someday I could find her birthfamily for her......

I hope everyone had a great Monday....

M
Comments:
Well, as you know my Monday was anything but great, but thanks so much for coming over and helping to cheer me when I need it.

And on the topic of New Orleans, you should take a look at one of the blogs on my blogs I read list; look for MissBHavens; she is currently in New Orleans and has video clips posted on her web site.
 
I am fuming mad at how our government has treated all of the displaced people from Katrina. It totally disgusts me. There are thousands of trailers that are available for people to live in, and yet FEMA has not paid for any of them. All 6,000 + trailers sit in one lot, totally unoccupied. Heaven only knows how many more lots there are like this. Individuals that face such natural distaters, be it that they are rich or poor, all deserve an equal shot at assistance and starting over. It's time that someone in DC wakes up from his long winter's nap!
(Sorry, I'll get off of my soap box now. LOL)

Have a great Tuesday!

Love,
Sarah
 
Hi Mary..

I wanted to comment on your story of Kiran's arrival...I can sure understand why you were upset with how things were handled...not knowing where Kiran was...I would have been a total wreck for sure!!!

I think Kiran's name change is interesting...her awareness!!

I agree with your outrage with how things are being handled in New Orleans...!

take care, Kathy
 
It's an outrage.

Kiran, though, is a walking adorable--and so smart. Great how kids see the whole name/identity thing so purely and simply: our names connect us.

Wonderful story.
 
Just like the "prescription drug benefit" or education or anything else, if "they" can't make money from it "they" aren't going to do anything about it I fear!

You have to be one of the greatest Mom's in the world; you know that don't you?

alan
 
This is terrible. What *is* going on????????????????????????
 
Tis amazing that five months after Katrina....little to nothing is being done..but lots and lots of jokers are making big bucks.

Depressing. Really and truly.

Now..that kid of yours is another story! And so are you. You both lift my spirits!

STB
 
Mary, I love your opennes w/ Kiran "Bibi". It's so cool that you are not threatened by her connection to India. I share that sentiment too.

The way the Government has handled New Orleans is tragic. My co-workers sent money to Habitat for Humanity, the New Oleans chapter to help. We should do more.
 
I was shocked at the devastation taht remains 5 months after Katrina. So many of us gave to the relief effort and to look at this, you'd wonder where it went!

On the name topic, both my kids have one of the names their birth parents gave them. When ddeciding about their adoptive names, I couldn't strip away all their orignal names, so they each kept one name. They know where each of their names came from - it connects us all in the adoption triad. So many think of adoption as a transfer of ownership - its so nice to know someone who is more aligned with my own beliefs...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?