Saturday, February 11, 2006

 

My Dad




This is my dad. He is the one responsible for my love of politics, teaching, and sports. He was born in 1938 on a cold October day in Tower, MN. He was the middle child of three with a sister older and younger. His loves today are his grandchild, children, gardening, fishing on Lake Vermilion, and keeping up with my brother's high school basketball team.

My father met my mom in the seventh grade and she couldn't stand him, he was always pulling her pigtails. It must of been love at first site. They started officially dating in tenth grade. The married the summer he graduated from the teacher's college in Duluth, which is now the University of MN, Duluth. On their honeymoon, he took her to Milwaukee to catch a Braves double header. My mom, tired and needing sleep, walked back to the car during the 3rd inning of the second game. My dad found her an hour after the game was over wondering around the parking lot still looking for the car. Milwaukee was the first big city my mom had ever been. It seems that their marriage started out on a great note they were married for 33 years and together for over 40.

They did love each other, raised 4 college educated good kids. He use to tell my mom how proud he was of his kids, whenever he run into someone, they always commented on what great adults his children where. My parents did their job right....

One year after my mom passed away, my dad started acting strangely. I would tell my brothers something wasn't right. Their answer was that he was just getting over mom's death. WRONG!!! It turned out that my dad is bipolar and from what the doctors tell us, my mom kept it under control. When he was down she would pick him up and so on... We are thankful daily that he found his new wife Norma about six years ago. Together they tend his garden in the summer, can his produce in the fall, and hang out in the cold winter months. BTW-He has planted his tomatoes for this coming spring already.

My first campaigns that I remember is McGovern VS Nixon and Jim Oberstar Vs. George Perpich. We have always been proud democrats and members of the DFL party. Paul Wellstone gave my dad credit for winning his first senate seat with a program my dad ran statewide, for middle and high school kids, to get people out to vote. The only time I was excused from school was to meet to Hubert Humphrey at the local union hall. He loved kids and came up with very creative projects for his students. One spring his Iron Range history class tapped the maple trees, made the syrup from the sap and sold it. One year he took 22 kids to Washington DC with the Close-up program and they raised every dime ($22,000) to go. Not to mention planting trees for the baseball team and coaching basketball.

We have all taken away his many loves into our families and those that we touch around. My dad is great!!

Have a great week all.....
Comments:
Such a beautiful tribute to your Dad, Mary. He's such a baby in that photo, too--his whole life ahead of him.

And I'm with Rose: isn't it amazing, the private things people do to hold each other up, and keep each other on track? Beautiful.
 
My mother was bipolar, so I can't even imagine your mother's strength, wisdom, and courage to be able to hide it from you. What a fantastic, loving tribute to both of your parents you have written.
 
A pair of wonderful parents; I can see how you turned out so fantastic!

alan
 
What a beautiful love letter about your dad. You should send this to him, Mary.

He sounds wonderful. Your Mom too. :) How wonderful you had them both as parents.

hugss
 
"He use to tell my mom how proud he was of his kids."

I'm proud of his "kid" too.

You're terrific!

rQm
 
What a phenominal man your father is! It is amazing how your spouse keeps you aligned..I know that I would be a total mess without Jennifer!

Have a great week!

Love,
Sarah
 
What a remarkable man.

And I love his politics!

How sad that he had to suffer privately all of those years.

Is he currently on medication?

I love the 'colorized' photo.

I wish they still did those.

x0x0x
 
Blogzie-Thank goodness for medication. He has been on it for 12 years on and off. It is so interesting as I am the first one to notice when he takes himself off. Although, Norma now makes sure that he takes it all the time.

I like his politics also. Imagine that....
 
Mary, I love visiting this site....

You are one of the most caring and loving individuals I've encountered in this very short year of blogging!

.... and yes, I love his politics also.

PEACE~
 
Mary...you made your Dad proud and you made us proud to get to meet your Dad.....

Have a great week!

STB
 
Mary...

neat to hear about your Dad!! his passions and accomplishments... my Mom was involved with Close up too...great organization!!

your Mom must have been something to cope with your Dad's bipolar situation all those years...hats off to her!!!

take care, kathy
 
What a beautiful photo.
I am positive my mother is bipolar but has never been diagnosed. If it wereb't for my father, she would go totally loopy.
 
Bipolar is a tough problem to deal with. I work with clients who suffer from it. My aunt also had it. How special that your mom was able to accept and help him stabilze. How special you are able to appreciate him for who he is. I'm glad your dad has a good, full life.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?