Sunday, January 15, 2006

 

June 11, 1960

My parents wedding photo. These are the six most important people who shaped me to me. My mom's parents, Frank and Vida, who you met a few weeks ago. My dad's parents are Ellen and Lawrence. I loved Grandma Ellen, she was the kindest, woman I never knew. She wanted everyone in her family just to be happy. She died about 2 1/2 months before Kiran came home. It wasn't less then a week before her death that she told someone, she was ready to die because she knew all of her grandchildren were finally happy, Mary was finally happy and she will never be alone again. Lawrence, on the other hand, the memories aren't the greatest, he loved his daughters and their families, but seemed to hate my dad and all of us. After all, my dad was just a teacher making $3,000 and he couldn't understand how they could have children. Not to mention, we were the grandchildren who saw them ever week, who went fishing with them, and were just there. He was an alcoholic until the last 15 years of his life. My mom grew to love him, I, however, never really did and I live with that guilt. Grandma loved us and we knew thatbut it was painful to hear that Matt is nothing because he doesn't make all the money the son-in-laws did. He was in fact the only Republican that was a blood relative.

My parents didn't have the perfect marriage but they survived over 40 years together. In the end, I remember being in the car with them and they were holding hands in the front seat. I almost threw up, your parents aren't suppose to act that way after 34 years of marriage and 10 years of dating. Looking back, I am so happy that I saw the love they shared after all the children left home. It was heartwarming.

Have a great week all, life is looking up!!!!

I hate to admit this, but I think I may be in love........
Comments:
Why should you hate to admit that! I think it's wonderful, and you are so deserving of it! May you know every happiness the earth has to offer!

Thank you for the photo and the story; it's nice to know that love does survive all those years. This year makes 30 for me, and I don't know what I'd do without her. She's put up with me through so much, and I'll never understand why!

alan
 
Aw, Mary, how lovely. It's the saddest thing--the judgment family can level at family, when really the world is tough enough without people who know our vulnerable spots poking at us. It's a great photo--thanks for sharing.

...I thought we were gonna be seeing a Mary & Gil pic today... :)
 
Mary...I enjoy your Sunday pictures and description of your family's relationships! Neat about your parents, holding hands for decades!! It sounds like you had a wonderful relationship with your grandmother...!! and well/ your grandfather, did he ever make amends with your Dad after he became sober?

Glad to hear the romance is going strong!!! good for you...take care, Kathy
 
Oh Goodie!

Romance on the Rise!

Lovely post. Great snap!

Have a great week Mary!

STB
 
OH! Does this mean we will be seeing your wedding photo soon?

Great photo of your parents and no guilt allowed about old Grandpa Lawrence. Just because we are related to someone doesn't mean we have to love them. Or even like them for that matter.

And it's all the more difficult when they are a republican....

x0x0x
 
Beautiful...

Care to share more deatils :)
 
Nothing in the world better than the love one gets from a grandmother,

rQm
 
Such a wonderful declaration, love is. Shout it without fear!


~Deb
 
Did I just read "in love"?

Now that just makes me so happy... we so seldom hear those words anymore. Sounds just wonderful...

And the picture... wonderful. I love your honesty. No one is perfect in any family, but your parents holding hands,remind me of mine. They have now been married 62 years and if my sister and I even say "shit" in front of my mother, my dad says... "don't talk that way in front of your mother".

Amazing!
 
Grandmothers rock.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?