Sunday, January 22, 2006

 

IT's Photo Sunday!!!

I do believe that I am 17 or 18 in this photo. Standing next to me is my best bubby, Rita. We have had many good times together. We were getting ready to go and party with two of our friends.

The house in the background is the one I grew up in. It is a small three bedroom rambler with one, mind you one bathroom. My parents raised four kids in that house and I look at the homes we all have today and wonder how we all survived. Eventually they put a bathroom and shower down in the basement but life was still crappped.

My dad and his wife still live in that house today. It seems even smaller when you put just one extra family in there.

In Hoyt Lakes, most of the houses were like this one. The mine owned all the land and they built the houses. There were only 6 different flan plans to chose from and the big houses, with the upstairs, went to the administration. For many years, only people who worked in the mine where allowed to buy houses in town. Once they opened it up to everyone, my parents purchased this home. They moved in 1963.

Have a great day all!!
Comments:
I love looking back on the architecture...of our lives and of the spaces we've lived in.

I couldn't agree more about the bathroom issue. How did we do it, and yet we did! LOL

Have a great Sunday..

STB
 
Oh my gosh, the memories.

From the clothes and hairstyles to the car in the driveway.

Perfect!

Have a fabulous day, Ms. Mary!

x0x0x
 
Great picture Mary! Looks like you and Rita were ready for a fun time. Thanks for sharing.
 
Tract homes and Chevrolets; the American dream at the time! I'm not sure if I should wish it still was or not...

Still have only one bathroom-

alan
 
simpler times...
i like that a lot.
you and your friend look ready-for-fun!
 
My sister had hair just like yours at exactly that age. And I thought she was so cool; her hair had BODY, while mine seemed dull and stringy. Kiran will look at that picture and think you lived in the Stone Age.

Isn't it all funny?
 
Well at least your one bathroom was inside.

Ours was outside and used by all the stranges who stopped for gas at the station.

UGH!

rQm
 
Hard to believe how families used to be bigger, yet lived in smaller houses (who had more than one bathroom?!)
 
Cool blast from the past! Thanks for sharing!
 
Mary...I always enjoy your photos!! did your Dad work for the mine??

anyway...you look ready to PARTY!!!
take care, Kathy
 
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! :)

I read your tagged post...my wife is from Houston, and I am from San Antonio...we love in South Dakota...and I have family in MN...small world, huh?:)

Have a beautful Thursday!

Love,
Sarah
 
Love the photo!
 
I grew up in Hoyt Lakes too and have so many wonderful memories.

My parents had one of the 2 story houses on Wynedotte. There were 8 of us in that house, we moved in 1975 to Duluth.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?