Saturday, December 03, 2005

 

Meet Frank and Vida-Photo Sunday

They were the first generation of my family born in the United States. They were both born to Slovenian immigrants. Each came from a family 12 children. My grandpa was the first in his family to graduate high school. My grandma was dropped off at the convent at the young age of 18 but was so homesick after one day her dad had to come and pick her up. My grandma was the oldest female child in her family. Her mother, Helena, had a difficult life with an alcoholic husband who abused her. She passed away at a young age and my grandma basically raised her siblings. She and my grandfather were married at the age of 22. They raised 6 children, the oldest being my mom.

Frank passed away 11 years ago. My grandpa was the kindest, gentle, and non judging human being that I have ever met. When we would spend the night at their house Grandpa would take us into the kitchen sit us down on the counter and we would have peanut butter crackers, he would have a beer and a shot a brandy. To listen to him play the harmonica was treat and every Sunday we would visit and listen to polka music with him. He was an outdoors man who loved to fish, go camping in the Boundary Waters, play in his garden and read dirty novels. Ok, I thought they were dirty when I was 13 but in reality they were pretty tame. He did give me his set of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series that I still treasure today. He worked in the iron ore mines in Northern MN.

Vida is still living her 4 bedroom, two story house that grandpa built. She will be 93 years old next week. She is a spunky, full of life lady who makes enough money to buy Christmas presents for her 4 remaining children, 12 grandchildren, and 13 great grandchildren by making the best potica this side of Slovenia. When you arrive at her home for a visit, it will take all of five minutes for there to many bake goodies on the table to eat. She is also the first one to comment if you have lost or gained weight.... She was harder around the edges then Grandpa. She was the one who saved every nickel and was in charge of the household. In the last couple of years she has started telling us her stories of childrenhood and growing up. It is such a delight to sit down and visit with her. She has lost so many in her lifetime that she prayers every day that she will not wake in the morning. We are so lucky to still have her in our life.

Their faith, values, and work ethic are the basis that I try to live my life by. They don't get any better then Frank and Vida...
Comments:
Hi Mary,

Thank you for sharing these photos of your grandparents and telling their heartwarming story.

It brings back so many memories of my maternal grandparents, both first generation American-born as well.

My paternal grandmother is still alive at 92!
 
Two photos, so much history.

I would love to eat at Vida's house, I know I would.

RQM
 
Mary...

I enjoyed hearing about your grandparents!! Wish I could drop in on your grandmother..!!

It made me thinking of sitting in my grandmother's kitchen...I loved visiting my grandparents...unfortunately, i don't think my kids will have those same warm, fuzzy memories...a shame!! Kathy
 
Aw, look at them.

You're lucky you got to know your grandparents; mine (mostly) died when I was a baby, though my mom's mother was here and in our lives until I was 30 or so.

Memories...
 
My grandmother Irene was my unfaulty door.. she taught me, she loved me..
(unconditionally) she saved me .. we had so many adventures and i learned to feel, to see and to lisen... because she taught me...

we are so fortunate, don't you think?
 
Mary...Amazing story. I love this and I can only hope that the children of today will remember us with the same love and affection that you have for your grandparents.

STB
 
That was Beautiful...Thanx for sharing..
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?