Tuesday, November 15, 2005

 

My Sister's Keeper

I recently finished this book and thought the subject matter was so thought provoking. The book deals with a 12 or 13 year old girl suing her parents so she doesn't have to give her sister a kidney. The child was created in a test tube to give her sister a perfect match for a bone marrow transplant from the umbilical cord at birth. Over the years she has to give so much to keep her sister alive.

During the story I really disliked the mother who all seemed to take her sick child's side when it was destroying her first born, a son, and putting her other daughter through such pain.

How can a parent choose what child is more important to them? I still am pondering that element. Maybe the mother really didn't and was just doing the best she could do.

Mary

Comments:
I can't believe I missed Kiran's birthday!!! Will you give her a big kiss from her pals in the east??

I've heard of this book--and seen TV pieces on kids who donate to a sick sibling. I'm sure, in the quest for a solution, it's easy for parents to lose sight of the impact on the healthy kids. I remember one kid--the donor--looking up at her mom crying, saying she didn't want to do it because it was going to hurt. And the mom, of course, tells her she has to do it because it will save her sister's life. The situation is horrible, though if it were me, I'm sure I'd find a way to persuade one to help the other as well. The kid copes with the pain of helping now, or the pain of not having helped later, as an adult. No easy answer, I imagine.

Which isn't the same thing as growing a child in a petrie dish as a medical solution to another child's sickness. Isn't that illegal??
 
I loved that book! :)

The Mom frustrated me at times too....however I think we only saw snippets of her...and they were mostly during the older daughters need for treatment. I think in that situation we'd all probably just do the best we could...and try to not make mistakes.....but mistakes would be made.

Did you reread the words in the forward after getting to the end of the story? IF not, do it. :) Interesting how your perspective of who is talking and what they are saying changes, huh?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?