Wednesday, November 30, 2005

 

Innocence lost.....

Why aren't children just little innocent things these days????? Can it all be TV, music and the shit their parents let them watch. I bet it has more to do with what they see and hear at home. Many of kids don't pretend to smoke cigarettes but they pretend to smoke a pipe or a joint.

Today, yes I teach in a public school in the inner city of Minneapolis, I was reading t0 my kids "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." It is one of my favorites and the Herdman children are like many in my class. Anyway, there was a line about putting a pussy willow in someone's ear. Four of my boys started laughing their heads off everytime I said pussy willows. I asked them what was so funny and if they knew what a pussy willow was. Of course and it is a shame that they didn't. I explained what the plant looked like and so on but I don't think they believed me. I know exactly what they were thinking about and it upsets me to no end when I think that they are 7. What are they going to be like at 15?

It is nothing for them to tell me that they have seen this rated R movie or played this video with their dad. Someday I am going to get in trouble because I always come back with, if you saw that movie your parents aren't doing their job. Those movies are for adults not kids.

Lord can I survive in this career for 26 more years.......
Comments:
Well you know, Mary, you could always move to the burbs and teach white, privileged kids...

Never mind. :)

You're the best.
 
no reason to teach for that long.. do something else!

Good for you for speaking the truth..someone has to!!I agree with you.. some parents fall down on the job.. badly.. way too many of them, in fact..

I work in a school for special needs kids.. and there, everything is okay.. everything..

parents can be scary..
kids can be scary..
and well.. some teachers are pretty scary too..

yes.. Clay is a special needs teacher as well as a nice guy and fantastic singer..

thanks for stopping by my place!
 
I suspect the parents are too busy on their cell phone, at the grocery store, bumping into me with their ,to actually pay attention to the progeny they "decided" to bring into the world.

Oy...

I agree with Inger.

STB
 
There seems to be nothing sacred anymore. Everything is sexualized these days. Sheesh!!!


~Deb
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?